Monday, February 9, 2009

Ad 1: Audi 'Unboxed' commercial

The first of four advertisments I'm going to look at is a recent commercial for the Audi Q5, created and directed by Aaron Duffy and Russell Brooke. I'm going to start off by saying that I think advertising is evil. However there's a lot of creative work going on in advertising, and it often produces some very nice results. Also, having stated that I'm really not into 3d animation, I'm going to have to take some of that back, as I really like this advert and a lot of it is 3d work. It was created in XSI and Nuke, with the 2d cel animation of the character UV mapped onto the 3d animation. The creators made lots of actual cardboard models and did stop motion tests to make sure they accurately recreated the look of the cardboard and how it moves. Very nicely done and entertaining to watch, but as with nearly all advertising I can't say that it makes you want to buy the product being promoted.

No comments: