Thursday, March 12, 2009

AE Rotoscoping

The tutorial turned out to be really useful, I just followed it through step by step without too much hassle. I used some old footage of my buddy Jake skating one of the grimy spots in my hometown, as it's one of the only shots I've got filmed from a tripod that hasn't got too much going on in the background. The hammers in the funfair in the top left are swinging in the footage, so I tried to get them at a point where it looked natural for them to be still for the background shot. The effect's not as good as it could be, due to the fact that my mask isn't very tight and the movement slows down in the middle of the screen, meaning I only managed to get 3 Jakes on at any one time. From doing this I've realised you'd really have to plan the shots you were taking if you were intending on using this effect. Although it doesn't look too hot, I've definately learnt a fair bit about AE through messing around with this.


AE Rotoscoping Trial from Tom Thiel on Vimeo.

No comments: