Sunday, March 22, 2009

Second Life Uses

Although I have a general lack of interest in Second Life as a virtual world/community, I can see uses for it that would be beneficial to areas I have greater interest in, particularly video. The ability to create characters and objects, then photograph them from any possible angle and distance makes it a very usefull tool for storyboarding. Add in using screen capture software and you can create a pretty good feeling for how a scene is going to run through time wise. This also gives you a lot of freedom to experient with different shot framings and camera angles. You can also test build sets fairly quickly and easily, enabling you to get a better impression of what's going to work and what might need changing, without having to invest money and time into buying mateials and creating a set only to find its not going to work out quite how you'd imagined. I can also see it would be useful for creating an animatic for 3D animations. Having used flash to create an animatic for my maya animation I know it isn't the greatest way to do it. Whereas with second life I could've made a model of my character really easily, then taken different shots of it, which would reult in something much more similar looking to how the final animation is going to be.

No comments: