Sunday, March 29, 2009

Good and Bad Animations

The first animation I'm going to look at is Bernard the polar bear. Now, I've been unfortunate to come across this 'character' on TV a couple of times before, and couldn't have been much less impressed. This is the exact kind of aesthetic that in general puts me off 3d animations, the overly smooth look to the characters. Combined with this that there is something about the characters that is totally unappealing, the way they move, their facial features and expressions. It's not even saved by interesting or amusing storylines. Poor show Bernard.



An animation I like is Robert Crumb is in the Woods. I like the aesthetic of this piece a lot, nice combination of hand drawn elements and bitmap looking graphics, and the flat 2d depth look, which I'm really into at the moment. Short and pretty random story this, but it's enjoyable to watch.


Robert Crumb is in the Woods from joseph Pelling on Vimeo.

No comments: